As a Winnipeg realtor, I’ve seen time and time again how crucial curb appeal is when it comes to selling a home. A property’s exterior appearance is the first thing potential buyers notice, and it can make or break their decision to explore the property further. In this blog post, I’ll discuss the importance of curb appeal and share some tips on how to improve your home’s exterior to make a great first impression and increase its market value.
Why Curb Appeal Matters
Curb appeal is essential for several reasons. First, it creates a positive first impression that entices potential buyers to step inside and see what the home has to offer. A well-maintained exterior also signals that the property has been well-cared for, which instills confidence in buyers that the interior will be in good condition as well.
According to a study by Michigan State University, homes with high curb appeal can sell for 5-11% more than similar homes with less attractive exteriors (source). Additionally, the National Association of Realtors reports that 63% of homebuyers will visit a property in person after viewing it online, based on its exterior appearance (source).
Tips to Improve Curb Appeal
Here are some simple and cost-effective ways to boost your home’s curb appeal as a Winnipeg realtor:
- Landscaping: Trim overgrown bushes, remove weeds, and add fresh mulch to flower beds. Planting colorful flowers and adding potted plants near the entrance can also create a welcoming atmosphere. For more landscaping tips, see this article from Better Homes & Gardens: Landscape for Curb Appeal.
- Exterior maintenance: Repair or replace damaged siding, gutters, or roof shingles. Power wash the driveway, walkways, and the exterior of the home to remove dirt and grime. This Old House offers advice on maintaining your home’s exterior: 10 Ways to Boost Your Home’s Curb Appeal.
- Paint: A fresh coat of paint on the front door, trim, or shutters can make a significant impact. Choose a color that complements the home’s overall appearance and the neighborhood’s aesthetic. Check out this guide from The Spruce on selecting exterior paint colors: Choosing Exterior Paint Colors.
- Lighting Update exterior lighting fixtures and ensure that walkways and entrances are well-lit. Adding solar-powered lights along pathways can create a warm and inviting ambiance at night. For more ideas on outdoor lighting, refer to this article from Bob Vila: The Best Outdoor Lighting for Curb Appeal and Security.
- Accessories: Replace worn or outdated hardware, such as house numbers, door handles, and mailbox. Add a welcoming touch with a new doormat, seasonal wreaths, or decorative planters. Visit House Beautiful for inspiration on front door accessories: 30 Front Door Ideas and Paint Colors.
As a Winnipeg realtor, I can’t emphasize enough the importance of curb appeal when it comes to selling your home. By investing time and effort in improving your property’s exterior appearance, you’ll not only increase its value but also attract more potential buyers. If you need assistance with selling your home or have any questions about the Winnipeg real estate market, please don’t hesitate to contact me.